Tuesday 16 August 2011

Cappucino Cupcakes

Possibly in homage to my days as a waitress/barista, I wanted to make these coffee-flavoured cupcakes resemble little cappuccinos.  I used the coffee sponge recipe from Bake me I’m yours... cupcake by Joan and Graham Belgrove, and the cream cheese icing from The Hummingbird Bakery: cupcakes and muffins by Tarek Malouf and the Hummingbird Bakers, topped off with a dusting of sieved cocoa powder.  For a different effect, I cut a heart-shape into a piece of paper, held this over the cake so it was not touching the icing, while my dad sieved the cocoa powder through this to make a heart.


You can tell from the picture that icing was still slightly runny, although I think this makes them look tastier, in a home-made way.  I put less coffee in than the recipe said, so while mine still had a coffee flavour I suggest following the amount they tell you to use, unless you only want a hint of coffee.  Also, don’t go to o mad with the cocoa powder, as it can get caught on your throat!

These turned out pretty well, and with a few adjustments would make a nice treat to accompany a cup of coffee and a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment